Hayao Miyazaki has an incredible and well-distinguishable art style that makes his works so unique and raises them instantly to cult status. Though these movies are all different stories, they share characteristics, like fantastic storytelling, art direction that all generations can enjoy and also the memorable Studio Ghibli songs, the charming melodies that blend perfectly into the immersive tales.
Studio Ghibli, the studio behind Miyazaki’s works has musical talents like Joe Hisaishi on board, whose heart-touching songs hugely contribute to the high emotional charge of Hayao Miyazaki’s films. By listening solely to these soundtracks, the audience is already taken to a journey in their fantasy, (re)visiting old friends from the classics of Studio Ghibli, such as Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies and many others. Miyazaki’s films become a unique experience not just because of the ubiquity of extraordinary characters and the concepts that feature distant lands of his fantasy, however somehow still have a resemblance to the real world, but also because of the pieces of music and sounds that make us revisit them multiple times.
Therefore to rank some of the essential pieces of music from the films on which these talented composers worked on, Goo Ranking hosted a poll and asked the Japanese fans to vote for their favorite Studio Ghibli songs. The results feature both fast-paced songs and dreamy, emotional melodies.
Prepare your headphones, launch your favorite streaming service and read on to enjoy these Studio Ghibli songs!
30. The Time of Cherries “Sakuranbo no Minoru Koro” (Porco Rosso)
29. The Bygone Days “Kaerazaru Hibi” (Porco Rosso)
28. Fine on the Outside (Omoide no Marnie)
27. The Tatara Women Work Song (Mononoke Hime)
26. Summer of Farewells “Sayonara no Natsu” (From Up on Poppy Hill)
25. Breakfast Song “Asagohan no Uta” (From Up on Poppy Hill) – Tie
25. When I Remember This Life (The Tale of the Princess Kaguya) – Tie
24. Once in a While, Talk of the Old Days (Porco Rosso)
23. Home Sweet Home (Grave of the Fireflies)
22. Bird Person “Tori no Hito” (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)
21. Ashitaka Kouki (Mononoke Hime)
20. Arrietty’s Song (The Secret World of Arrietty)
19. The Promise of the World “Sekai No Yakusoku” (Howl’s Moving Castle)
18. The Song of Time “Toki no Uta” (Tales from Earthsea)
17. Again (Spirited Away)
16. Anytime, Somebody Will Always (Pom Poko)
15. Therru’s Song (Tales from Earthsea)
14. I Shall Walk Looking Up (From Up on Poppy Hill)
13. Path Of The Wind “Kaze no Torimichi” (My Neighbor Totoro)
12. Become The Wind “Kaze ni Naru” (The Cat Returns)
11. Nausicaä Requiem (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)
10. Hikoukigumo (The Wind Rises)
9. Message in Rouge “Ryuuju no Dengon” (Kiki’s Delivery Service)
8. Always With Me “Itsumo Nando Demo” (Spirited Away)
7. Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke)
6. Wrapped In Gentleness “Yasashisa ni Tsutsumareta Nara” (Kiki’s Delivery Service)
5. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Ponyo)
4. Carrying You “Kimi wo Nosete” (Castle in the Sky)
3. Country Roads (Whisper of the Heart)
2. Stroll “Sanpo” (My Neighbor Totoro)
1. My Neighbor Totoro “Tonari no Totoro” (My Neighbor Totoro)
We hope that you enjoyed this list of most popular Studio Ghibli songs. Did they bring back some great memories from your favorite Miyazaki titles? Which one is your favorite song from the ranking? Let us know in the comments below!